Wednesday 10 October 2007

Recycle until the end of its life..?

I had the most unfortunate chance to catch a viewing of some TV programme, some time ago, blarting on about how to recycle your household waste. It has been brought to mind due to all the 'environmental' waffle that's all over the place, nowadays.

I do recycle as much as I can possibly stick into categories provided, according to what containers there happens to be at the recycling points I go to. And, this is where my gripe begins.

The TV programme I saw a while ago had a woman going through some couple's week's worth of accumulated rubbish, separating and categorizing the individual peices of crap, leaving the couple with all their junk, and no rubbish for the binmen in the morning.

Among the items the woman removed from the couple's rubbish, for recycling, was a scourer sponge that is used for washing the dishes. The woman told the couple that it could be used for washing the car windows, which is all very well. I have forever since asked this question: what do you do with the f****ng sponge when it's use for the car is up an done? And, the same can be asked of many things: glass jam jars (how many will you ever need to separate all those buttons, screws, nails, etc), bottle tops (there are only so many paint pots a school will ever need), plastic bottles and tubs (how many dinners and drinks do you ever need to take to work with you)?

The subject I like to highlight from the so-called environmental TV household shows is that you can save the rubbish from being buried for one week; you will have filled all your glass jars with screws, nuts, bolts, buttons, etc. and the schools you live near will have now applied to the courts for an injunction to keep you from dumping your crap on them.

I recycle everything, but not to the extent that I have to start burying it in the back garden, and then the neighbours....

No comments: